Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: ironheadtom Got my first gas pump today! - Tue Nov 17 2015 11:28 PM
Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it .... but for now just going to look at it. smile

Attached picture 20151117_145546.jpeg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Tue Nov 17 2015 11:31 PM
Cool...Congratulations.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Tue Nov 17 2015 11:52 PM
Awesome!! Congratulations!!!
I can't wait for the day I get to say that!!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 12:04 AM
Really nice shape too, maybe throw a globe on there?
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 12:06 AM
That 300 is in great shape !!
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 12:24 AM
Thanks you guys... I would like to put a globe on it but I could probably only afford a repro one. I don't know anything about pumps but I think that the sign and everything is original and would almost hate to put a globe on it that's not legit... Guess I'll have to break down and get edumacated before I mess with it
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 12:36 AM
Hi Tom, Most of the Texaco silver pumps were Sky Chief. The Fire Chief sign does look original from what I can see. Date Looks like a 9-40 maybe? IMO I would leave it in the original color .Clean it up a bit and enjoy. Good luck and keep us posted, Brian

Attached picture 292995_10150994017334998_504739968_n.jpg
Posted By: hemigolf2009 Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 12:40 AM
I would also leave it the way it is. Nice find! I remember how excited I was to get my first pump. Enjoy, Tim.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:13 AM
Congrats on your first pump. Put a Skychief sign and globe on it and call it done. It's too nice to restore.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:28 AM
Bob is right! That pump has nice enough paint to leave as is! Put the Skychief plates on it and a globe, and you are done!
Don't be afraid of using a repop until your budget says otherwise! It will look great!
Posted By: Sarman47 Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:42 AM
Congrat's. Enjoy.

Now go make room for more.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By Sarman47
Now go make room for more.

I was going to add that before, one Pump leads to another pump that leads to many pumps! LOL
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 02:04 AM
Lol. Been there done that with cans for a while. I agree with you guys though, I won't mess with the finish at all. Will probably replace the missing pieces here and there, and swap the signs and add a globe. I can't wait to light it up!
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 02:30 AM
Great pump!! Good advice so far, enjoy it!
Posted By: kybred76 Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 02:45 AM
Nice score!!! Congrats, enjoy it!!!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 03:51 AM
Looks great congrats!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 07:31 AM
If you would like to look at a few pictures of your pump check out this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20300.htm

Just a small piece of advice from someone that has owned over 200 gas pumps. Your pump looks great sitting inside of your house, but unless you removed the pump and meter, they contain at least one gallon of the worse smelling gasoline you have ever smelled, or as a friend of mine said "smelt." Just one slightly turn of the belt will release that old gasoline on your floor.

Jack Sim
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:36 PM
Thanks very much for the info Jack. It's been gutted and it's in my garage , but I never thought about the fact that they could contain some nasty stuff. Good to know for next time. Did I just say next time? haha . Thanks for the link also
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Wed Nov 18 2015 01:46 PM
Nice!...I wouldn't put a globe on it though.
That would be too much and take away from it's lighted face.
Posted By: Michigas Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Sun Nov 22 2015 11:41 PM
Nice patina! Good find!
Just got my first pump a few weeks back. The paint on yours looks good. Mine was painted over with a brush over the years, so need new paint. The globe would really add to it! Have fun..
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Got my first gas pump today! - Mon Nov 23 2015 12:35 AM
mine actually was painted with a brush in some areas too. I'm going to leave it tho...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk