Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oldgoaly Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 06:03 AM
So I don't get around like used too, but my wife does! <grin> She was at a local auction, this wasn't advertised, must have been a shelf in the old barn.

as found, NOT FOR SALE!

the "M" stands for who made it? also the left side wood edge
is missing.

the blob! looked like rust for a second, turned out it was turpentine! didn't take long to clean it!

I'd say it turned out nicely! got a place to hang it in my workshop!

When do you think it was made? I'm thinking 1920? no winged foot?

Still not for sale!

R.I.P. DB miss ya!
Posted By: Stu K. Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 06:32 AM
I'd say it turned out super! Very nice score. Might want to keep her around.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 08:13 AM
congratulations, nice addition.. ... cool
Posted By: JimT Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 08:43 AM
Great sign. Thanks for sharing your find! Good to see you posting ,Terry.

PS-Is the back whitish/grey with spots? Or?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 08:58 AM
Wow that is awesome! Like new!! Congrats!
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 09:02 AM
amazing congrats
Posted By: wocopep Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 01:24 PM
Mid 20s would be about right.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 05:30 PM
Wow nice Find!!!
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 05:54 PM
well it's still dirty, we started to get rain, not that the sign would get wet, she came home with boxes of "stuff" I'll wipe it down take a pic. She saw a spider on the back it's a surprise she carried to the truck. <grin> oh she hates spiders!
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 06:56 PM
a few pics of the back

as found maybe a little less dust!
e e

the all important property of mark, has another but is blurred

cleaned with a wet rag, think I'll leave the turpentine marks

checking the old hooks still holding on good! would not like to see or hear this sign come crashing down!!!!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 07:19 PM
If your at all concerned, wouldn't be a terrible idea to thread the eye bolts out and reinstall with a little epoxy. Just to be safe. Won't even see it.
Darn that is a beautiful sign!!!!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 08:10 PM
Terry, congrats on having two winners! The sign is great!

But, "finding" a wife who is accomplished enough to know a winner when She sees it, is miles ahead,overall; IMO!

Wish I had been smart enough to find someone interested in my collecting Petro items; instead of finding the someone I did. I found out, rather rudely; that She turned out to be more interested in selling "my treasures" as soon as She could, than giving me some support in my collecting.... LOL
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 10:09 PM
Great sign TT! Glad to hear your wife supports your hobby, and good to see you posting here.
Bob
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Goodyear Service! - Mon Sep 28 2015 11:38 PM
Great sign in beautiful condition....I have the "GREASING" sign that would have gone with this sign that went above or on the bay door. It has the "M" makers mark as well as the property stamp...always wondered who the "M" maker was. If I recall correctly mine has 7/19 in the porcelain on the back, which I always guessed might have been a year of manufacture. Who knows, but I always knew it was pretty early.
Darin
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Tue Sep 29 2015 03:44 AM
Steve, that is what I was thinking, one is a little loose, the other seems tight, I will do that for sure!
thanks Bob & Bob!
Darin, sounds interesting! would be a high end shop that had stalls for each service! There are a couple of long time car dealers still in business where this most likely came from or would have Goodyear have been separate from a dealer? Rather hope it's a dealer cause I can bug them!
I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of the signs on a shop.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Goodyear Service! - Tue Sep 29 2015 11:57 AM
Terry... I will look at the photo I have of mine in use. When I found my sign I did a post on OG as it is a local sign and I have a photo of it on the building in use ca. 1930. I don't remember seeing the service strip that you have on Bentz Brother's building. Bentz Bros. sold Standard Oil of Indiana lubes and gas for many years, so I assumed they got the sign from Goodyear early on and left it on the door for years as it was pretty generic looking.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Tue Sep 29 2015 10:17 PM
So fixing the crack and the loose hook today.

Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Goodyear Service! - Wed Sep 30 2015 12:42 AM
Terry, if you find that space is tight? I am sure that a good portion of the Membership will volunteer to hold the sign for you as long as you need.... wink whistle

Being that I am soooooo far away from you; I will bow out...

But, if your Wife finds an Associated and/or Tydol and/or Flying A sign.... I will "bite the bullet" and offer to take care of it; for you.... No cost, even.... grin
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Goodyear Service! - Wed Sep 30 2015 01:54 AM
Awesome sign!
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Wed Sep 30 2015 02:24 AM
Bob,
she found a Tydol base, then I bought the sign from Ron Bettin.
should be a thread on here? here it is

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=257805
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Wed Sep 30 2015 11:31 PM
glued the end board, it had one L bracket, but I added one on the other end, reuse of old L brackets, sorry about the phillips head screws but I have so many! no to find a old board to finish the end. BTW it feels solid now!

Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 12:05 AM
So, it been less than a year and it's on the wall! We took 1/2 the windows out of the workshop late 2014, just got the inside done in this part. So it was time to get this off the floor and on the wall! Made a small sheet metal bracket to take some of the weight of the sign off the hooks and screws. Those are metal working hammers and bead roller dies under it.

Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 11:49 AM
Looks good Terry!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 11:55 AM
The Goodyear sign looks great! Love the hammer display too.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 01:34 PM
Jim,
that is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the hammers, there about 2750 pics of tools and other goodies on Facebook, they are public you should not need to sign in or join. https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums Funny some people wonder why so many pics, then another says could you take a few more cause I have one that is broken.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By Oldgas
The Goodyear sign looks great! Love the hammer display too.

what is on the row under the hammers? .. ... cool
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By advertologist
what is on the row under the hammers? .. ... cool

I think those are different shape and size rollers to fit in a "C"-clamp shaped tool to reshape the outer edge bead on pre-1950 open fender cars. Ah, the good old days.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 07:05 PM
Bead roller dies to make shapes / stiffeners in sheet, some are for edge work. They are mostly new (30 years old or newer)
Bunch of pics here, some old ones too https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=album&album_id=778610885522920

I do have a couple of "English wheels" and Stiles-Herman fender rollers, I have the only S-H "rollsemout" on the internet, got to be some hiding somewhere? Should be finishing up the board for it real soon. 54 pics of it here https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=album&album_id=731954663521876
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Goodyear Service! - Thu Sep 08 2016 07:40 PM
Turned out Awesome!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk