Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mavericks8371 Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 05:06 PM
I know it's been talked about before people say scrap them just boughtt 3 gas pumps should I scrap the pump motors making them lighter and easier to move recoup some of my money I don't know if they still work or not nothing rare either some tokhiem 39s thanks for the advise
Posted By: BryceG Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 05:08 PM
age old question... answer = what do YOU want

lots of past opinions Click Here
Posted By: mavericks8371 Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 05:08 PM
Thanks Bryce
Posted By: Savinsam Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 07:17 PM
Unless you're a 'purist' ( and there's nothing wrong with that),
gutting the pumps makes for a lot lighter pump to move around after restoration. I gut all of mine & junk the 'inards'. If you should want a motor & stuff later, there's lots of it available.
My two cents worth. Sam
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Savinsam
Unless you're a 'purist' ( and there's nothing wrong with that),
gutting the pumps makes for a lot lighter pump to move around after restoration. I gut all of mine & junk the 'inards'. If you should want a motor & stuff later, there's lots of it available.
My two cents worth. Sam

Ditto, dump those nasty gas soaked pumps.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 09:57 PM
Scrap, no one will want to use them to actually pump gas.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 10:46 PM
Until buyers are willing to pony up extra bucks for a pump intact just chunk them in the ole recycle pile. I've yet to meet a serious buyer who honestly cared about functional pumps enough to pay for the difference.
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Keep or scrap - Mon Apr 27 2015 10:56 PM
If there is a stamping on one of the sides like tokheim pumps, you could try to take that off if it's possible would make a cool space filler on the wall.
Posted By: petro & rodz Re: Keep or scrap - Tue Apr 28 2015 12:06 AM
Me personally ,if the pump is complete and still functional I always them as is.
Posted By: mavericks8371 Re: Keep or scrap - Tue Apr 28 2015 01:54 AM
Yea my thoughts these are the first pumps I've bought and they are heavy with everything in tact they won't be used to pump gas or not by me and yes oilcanman87 they are stamped tokheim on the motors/pump
Posted By: mavericks8371 Re: Keep or scrap - Tue Apr 28 2015 01:56 AM
I'll be more than glad to save them for anyone that wants them lol and bring them to Evansville show for you to pick up
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Keep or scrap - Tue Apr 28 2015 05:41 AM
Always keep this in mind. You restore a really nice pump, you leave the guts inside. You sell it to someone, he puts it in his game room. Now for some unknown reason, the pulley on the pump turns just slightly, and out comes some of the worst smelling fuel you have ever, whatever. Unless you intend to empty the pump that you are leaving in the cabinet, don't put it inside the house or garage, the pump/meter contains some very old gas.
When you gut a pump, just take a wiff of the gas that comes out of it, this should be enough to verify why you are gutting the pump.

I once gutted 21 pumps in two days, I know what they smell like.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Keep or scrap - Wed Apr 29 2015 03:11 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean Jack. That old gas smell, nothing quite like it! I'm not sure what happens to gas as it ages, but it seems to turn into varnish or something equally nasty - smelly!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Keep or scrap - Wed Apr 29 2015 03:32 AM
I have been told pumps could hold up to two gallons of gas in them. I laughed because I have never had more than a cup or two come out until one day. I brought a pump home, layed it on its side and drove more than an hour. unloaded it than started to work on it. Nothing came out during the trip but it started when I took the hose off. It was completely full. The sightglas manifold was full, the meter was full and the pump. More than a gallon come out of it.
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: Keep or scrap - Wed Apr 29 2015 04:00 AM
Someone once posted that without the pump motor you have a cabinet not a gas pump.
I have gutted all but one.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Keep or scrap - Wed Apr 29 2015 06:19 AM
Why does this subject keep coming up about twice a month, doesn't anyone doing any research?

OK, so your are still looking for an answer. Let's put it this way.

You find a locomotive and you decide to restore it, and you don't live anywhere near any railroad tracks, but damn, you are going to restore it to what it looked like back when it took people from the east coast to the west coast.

Do you think anyone is going to ask you if it works?

I hope you get where I am coming from, if you have a beautifully restored gas pump, are you really concerned that someone will ask you "Does it work?"

Do what you want, but please, don't keep asking us if you should keep the guts or send them to the scrap yard.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Keep or scrap - Thu Apr 30 2015 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Do you think anyone is going to ask you if it works? Jack Sim

A lot of my friends not in the hobby ask me if my pumps work.

I've had guys ask me this same question and I reply it's all personal preference
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk