Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Aggie Sign Guy New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Mon Apr 20 2015 09:16 PM
Howdy team. I stumbled across this site trying to do research. I have a serious collection of high end quality signs I am going to need to be selling in the near future. It is an inherited collection so I don't know a lot but the appraiser I had come out and get started described the collection as MIND BLOWING and Once in a LIFETIME. So I am looking for legit collectors. Am I in the right place? :o)
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Mon Apr 20 2015 09:22 PM
I would say post some pictures, there are a lot of serious collectors here!
Welcome aboard!
I strongly suggest you take quality pictures and post them in the value section and find out what they are worth BEFORE you start selling!
Also dont let ANYONE come in and pick and choose ANY choice pieces!
Do ALL your homework BEFORE you sell anything...
There are value guides, ebay, auction results from matthews, live auctions etc etc...
Take advantage of the FREE value forum and the FREE selling forum!!!
Be leary about sending pictures to lots of people you dont know and Keep an eye on the signs as depending what you have, they could be extremely valuable!
Good Luck...
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Mon Apr 20 2015 09:41 PM
In my opinion, Old Gas is the best petro sight on the internet. I have not seen them all of course but Old Gas has been around for awhile, possibly one of the first. A lot of knowledgeable collectors check the site daily. A lot of different ways to sell a collection, eBay, auction, go to the shows, have people come to your place. All have advantages and drawbacks. I would suggest you take pictures of everything and make an inventory list. Have the appraiser put numbers down for each item, or for each group if there is some small cheaper stuff. Maybe even have two people appraise it and compare the two? Maybe then post a couple pictures here and see what others think to see if your guy or guys were close. If it is in fact high end stuff, it should bring strong prices. Everyone wants a bargain when they buy stuff, as a seller you should try to get a fair price also. Good luck with the sale. Post pictures here if you can.
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Mon Apr 20 2015 09:53 PM
smile Welcome. The first thing I would caution you on is to be in NO hurry to just dump/sell the collection. If it is an inherited collection as you say, think of how long it took to accumulate and the years of joy it must have brought the collector. The most common pitfall to avoid is the "Cherry Picker" that will want to buy the best and leave you with the rest. And the advice already given about research and school yourself as much as possible on values and conditions of the signs. Rarity, sizes, you have a lot of variables that will translate into dollars in your pocket. Look at some pictures posted on here of recent sales and auction results. If the collection is as extensive as you say, get a second appraisers' opinion. A few hundred here and there on different signs will make a big change to the bottom line. Good Luck, you have a lot of Fun and Work ahead of you.
Ed Steagall.
Posted By: advertologist Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Mon Apr 20 2015 10:01 PM
I'd sure like too see a sneak preview-
you've received good advice above, do
your homework & don't be in a hurry or
you'll cut yourself short. I'd get 3
or 4 opinions- I don't know what you
have but the value might surprise you ... cool
Howdy yourself! Always good to have someone else from Texas on the site. I'll second and third the advice everyone else has already given. Get multiple folks to give you appraisals/values BEFORE you let anything go. Take your time, do your homework and research as much as you can. That will get you the best return on this collection. The folks on this site can give you a wealth of information. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen. I will try to post a few pictures if this is allowed in this forum. It is over 400 signs an addition to lots of other stuff collected over 40 years.
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 12:01 PM
Don't feel so all alone, Jim. I lived in Houston for 13 years prior to Atlanta.
When people ask where I am from I'll say "I claim Houston, but don't know if Houston will claim me!"
There is a reason its The GREAT State of Texas!
Dave
Posted By: BryceG Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 12:42 PM
the vast majority of items can be found on ebay, liveauctioneers, matthewsauctions, proxibid, worthpoint, etc. it will take some time to research each, but thats what is required to figure a value for a collection overall.

for the rare & highly desirable items... all you would have to do is post a picture in the value forum and if it truly is rare & highly sought after... I guarantee you will get a large amount of response. just dont expect many to do the work for you on the common stuff... the values are out there on the web right at your fingertips.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 01:19 PM
How does one put a value on the truly rare and unique items in todays collectible market?
Granted, there are a lot of comparable sales out there on the web for the average stuff, but anyone that says they can put a value on the truly rare and exceptional items, is only fooling someone.
A good case in point is the Husky sign that sold at auction in Peotone! A good many "experts" were in the room that day, and the consensus was that it would probably top 30K but land pretty close to 35K. It was a long way off from the 82K that it brought!
Does that mean that the next one in comparable condition will bring close to that figure? Absolutely not, but there isn't anyone available that can tell you where it would land either.
Use the resources available to price the common items and you won't be far off, but take the exceptional, rare pieces and place them with a reputable auction company to maximize sales return!
In fact, with that many signs and other assorted pieces available, you have enough material to put on your own estate sale (with a reputable auction co). Its a lot of work, but the rewards and satisfaction you will get from your efforts will be worth it!

JM2C
Posted By: Steven C. Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 01:32 PM
Lol!! Brand new member offers collection for sale and his mail box is full in one day!

So Aggie, any Sunoco stuff in there?
Posted By: oslosteve Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 01:37 PM
The Vultures circle !
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 03:44 PM
...Michael, contact Dan Matthews, he's a member of this site, and has been auctioning petroliana for years...his user name is Mattgas, and his number (listed in his profile) is 217-259-7059...
Posted By: oillease55 Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 03:59 PM
AUCTION with a reputable and knowledgeable auctioneer in this field. Don't forget to have heavy duty contractor bags ready to put the money in. Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 04:26 PM
Hi Michael,

Tons of research on your part if you have no idea about values.
Hiring a reputable auction company to liquidate the contents will cost you, but the end results would probably surpass any expectations you were advised up front.
You stumbled upon a great site, keep posting and asking questions.
Wishing you the Best of Luck!
Posted By: katfsh Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 05:55 PM
A lot of great advise from some of the good guys on here. Be careful who you invite to see the collection because some unfriendly folks watch this site also. Mattgas is a good place to start and if Dan can't help you he would lead you in the right direction for sure. I don't think anyone on here can say much bad about him, he couldn't have stayed around this long messing folks over.I have never sold items thru him but have bought a couple from him. Good luck!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: oslosteve
The Vultures circle !
. Lol .

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: intagas Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Tue Apr 21 2015 09:43 PM
Morphy's, nice and close to me. lol
Posted By: hjnc Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Wed Apr 22 2015 11:03 PM
Welcome to oldgas!
Posted By: powerlube Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Thu Apr 23 2015 03:12 AM
Over the pm limit...
Not sure why you guys are trying to message them??? Post if you have advice or a suggestion and dont try to WEASEL your way in...
SORRY to have to say this but BEWARE the guys that have already messaged you about selling them something or sending them pictures??? Feel free to EXPOSE anyone trying to buy things prematurely.
Take your time and appraise EVERY sign. Signs have exploded in value these last several years and signs has been a better investment than Gold! So treat the collection better than GOLD!
Protect your inheritance at ALL COST!
Good Luck and may the sign collector RIP smile
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Thu Apr 23 2015 10:59 AM
No different THAN begging ebayers to END auctions early, SOME should practice WHAT they preach!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Thu Apr 23 2015 12:19 PM
Save the messages... do some research. If you don'tt want to mess with it then Dan Matthews is the guy to consign it to and let him auction it off. There are several other auction companies coming into the pic now but as far a knowledge... Dan is at top.
Welcome to site and like others said... be careful of the hawks circling ready to swoop in.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Thu Apr 23 2015 12:51 PM
Heres a Vulture we've seen before!

Attached picture Dollar 2.jpg
Posted By: blacktee Re: New Member with a MASSIVE collection to sell - Thu Apr 23 2015 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
No different THAN begging ebayers to END auctions early, SOME should practice WHAT they preach!

Right on Rick

It's Thursday a different playing book.

Real pieces of art on oldgs.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk