Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Signs&Neons 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 06:32 PM
Unfortunately two signs were stolen from my place last nite. 72" Round 2 sided Flying A Service porcelain and a 72" Round one sided Used Cars (White Background, red letters, blue "ribbon" around the outside. Please keep a look out and message me if you see any come up for sale. Will try to post pictures later. Thanks
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 06:48 PM
If you want some help finding your signs I would suggest you give us better location than "Midwest."

Jack Sim
Posted By: Wayne Wood Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 07:00 PM
Some people don't want to disclose who they are & where they are from. I am not ashamed to list who I am & where I am from!
Wayne
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 07:12 PM
He's somewhere in this area.

Attached picture 2015-04-18-15-10-04-931003796.jpeg
Posted By: Catauladave Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 07:22 PM
If you want some help...location and good photos would be a great help. Midwest is a little broad... Dave
Posted By: powerlube Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 07:29 PM
I believe we are looking in the upper Midwest, MN, WI, ND,SD and southern Canada.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 07:39 PM
Signs could end up anywhere. Nationwide lookout is not a bad idea.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 11:00 PM
Let's beat up on the guy that just had part of his collection stolen. Did it ever occur to you guys that people don't give their exact location because of security concerns?
Posted By: bowserman Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sat Apr 18 2015 11:17 PM
I'll keep my eye open at the pioneer power swap meet this next weekend.
I hate that for you . Seems this is becoming a common occurrence anymore. Makes one wonder if displaying our stuff is just a open invitation to the vermin . Get us some pictures and I will watch for them as well.
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sun Apr 19 2015 02:08 AM
I would never put any of my stuff outdoors.
Even though thats what it was made for I'm smart enough to know that it's a magnet for thieves. I keep all my signs inside under lock and key with an alarm. I'll share it with anyone who asks to see it but would never trust it outside
Posted By: Catauladave Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sun Apr 19 2015 02:56 AM
Who's getting the "beat down" ? Nowhere in the thread is there a negative comment. People just trying to help. Dave
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sun Apr 19 2015 10:20 AM
I will watch our local ads around here..I'm in the Midwest I guess.

Sorry about your loss.

Furthers my conviction to not display stuff outside.
WOW, This is a very long time contributor and member here. You can only come up with those comments about his location ?? Good guy, and help is all he is asking. These things are sometimes close, but also can be across state lines in short order. Had stuff taken from me and it was all pre-arranged before they were stolen. They ended up everywhere.
The hard part, as has been discussed on OG before is ID'g your signs. Without pictures of which signs and whether there's specific damage unless someone is offered both signs at once it's difficult to know when they turn up. The Used Cars is actually easier to ID being less common, so hopefully it will get spotted.

With an ID of area of theft being midwest I know the chance they will turn up in SC is slim. However, if I was in the specific region you live in I'd know to be seriously on the lookout. I'll still keep my eyes out here in SC though.

The reason I recovered 80% of what was stolen from me last November was because I gave specific information where, when, what was stolen and my local contacts had their ears and eyes out knowing exactly what to look for. I spammed Craigslist, OG, and regional Facebook sites so that people were on the lookout all over in case it was a professional hit instead of just opportunistic.

Proactive securing of signs for anyone with displays outside should be the norm from the get-go, including video/camera surveillance. If you can afford to display a Flying A, you should be just as willing to invest in reasonable security. (multiple securing methods to start).

Photo-logging of entire collections should be commonplace, you can buy CHEAP digital cameras so there is no excuse for not having evidence of your collection for reference and insurance if you've got money invested.

I hope the OP keeps us posted on the progress as well. It's good to know what to be on the lookout for at shows.
Chips are like fingerprints on signs smile
good quality pictures including closeups of the damage are the ONLY possible way to prove a sign was/is yours...
I hope you find them! Will watch for you...

Originally Posted By: Wayne Wood
Some people don't want to disclose who they are & where they are from. I am not ashamed to list who I am & where I am from!
Wayne

I thought it was mandatory to complete your profile with complete first and last name etc???? So you dont even have to do that anymore????
Or is it simply NOT enforced also???
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sun Apr 19 2015 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
Chips are like fingerprints on signs smile
good quality pictures including closeups of the damage are the ONLY possible way to prove a sign was/is yours...
I hope you find them! Will watch for you...

Originally Posted By: Wayne Wood
Wayne

I thought it was mandatory to complete your profile with complete first and last name etc???? So you dont even have to do that anymore????
Or is it simply NOT enforced also???

I didn't have my name or location in my profile. When I recently updated it I was required to fill in those fields. If someone doesn't have their name or location in their profile they've been on here a long time.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Mon Apr 20 2015 02:31 AM
Sad to hear, I will keep my eyes open.
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Wed Apr 22 2015 11:32 AM
It's been a busy few days, I apologize for slow reply. Thanks for the help and support from all who have offered.

As for the location debate- maybe another time. Some understand/agree and some don't.

Here a few pics. The Flying A is my exact sign. The Used Cars is one similar (I've yet to find a good picture of mine-have to keep digging.) My Used Cars is just like this except it is not the neon version. Just a flat round porcelain.

Please keep your eyes out for either one and message me with any information. Thanks

Attached picture UsedCars.JPG
Attached picture FlyingA.JPG
Posted By: BryceG Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Wed Apr 22 2015 01:15 PM
will keep my eyes open... really sucks that this happens. those 2 signs should be easy to spot if they hit the market, i dont ever remember even seeing one of those Used Cars signs before
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: 2 Stolen 72" Round Signs -Flying A & Used Cars - Sun Apr 26 2015 01:31 PM
Thanks for keeping an eye out everyone. Unfortunately, nothing yet.....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk