Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Dick Bennett's stuff - Sun Apr 12 2015 11:31 PM
I saw in one of the post that some of Dick's stuff was being sold. When was this stuff available and was it published or is it now being resold?
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Sun Apr 12 2015 11:56 PM
Craig, I believe if you talk to GaspumpRob, he can answer all your questions.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=600
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Sun Apr 12 2015 11:58 PM
I am not the one to answer this Q but I did get a text message with a picture of a Mowhawk Gasoline paddle sign and a Shell Gasoline/ Ethyl combo sign that I was told were for sale and came from DB's collection. Great items, priced out of my price range. The paddle sign was posted in last weeks BOTW if I recall..
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 12:07 AM
I wasn't in the "know" on anything being available, but through others, I believe most of DB's stuff has been sold/dispersed by now.
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 12:57 AM
I mean this in no disrespect or greed, but simply as curiosity, did Dick have any 2 gallon cans? As I say, I do not want to seem disrespectful to his memory, I would simply love to own a piece of his heritage..
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 01:10 AM
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
I mean this in no disrespect or greed, but simply as curiosity... I would simply love to own a piece of his heritage..

I know I wasn't around long before he passed but he did give me some great advice and knowledge before, and I wish I could get one of his qt cans that he designed or owned.

Did he ever share pictures of his collection with anyone? I'd like to see them if possible. Shoot me a email if you are willing to privetly share them.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 01:17 AM
Dick did the decals for my Amoco Projek, a re creation that was later used to refurbish an Amoco station in Roanoke Virginia . I'll be happy to post as many shots of that as you like .
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 01:22 AM
I'd love to see any and all
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 02:00 AM
I stopped at Dicks place about 5 years ago and took some pictures. Here's one of them. I can post more if nobody minds.

Posted By: powerlube Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 02:17 AM
Dicks classic words were that he died that his wife would call Matthews Auction. I guess somebody talked her out of that.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 02:43 AM
IMO,(for whatever that is worth), As long as Judy was taken care of, nothing else matters... As many in the Hobby have noted; we are the "Caretakers" of these bits of History for a short period of time....

db during the years, shared items with many of us; As he felt comfortable with us... Whether large or small... Expensive or inexpensive;

I think most of us that kept the items, could care less about a "dollar value"... Because he shared himself and thought of us. Made/makes each and every item.... priceless....

Now to be truthful; I admit that I am a curious/nosy collector; I do wonder about the status of his items... I just can't help myself..... LOL

Because of my health issues, db teased me on a regular basis that Veedol_AL was going to "raid" my collection, within hours of my death... LOL (AL has threatened to do that very thing on more than one occasion...)

At first when AL asked how I was feeling, I got "that warm and fuzzy feeling" that a friend was looking out for me.... Then I heard a rumor that AL, is renting a Storage Locker here in Town.... Now I am starting to get a little nervous... LOL (just kidding AL).....
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:12 AM
Still miss his witty Pm messages .....I hope everything sells top $ for Mrs . Bennett.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 05:39 PM
Scott, Im sure most of us would love to see more pictures of Dick's collection as he looked upon it for all those years. If there isnt an issue with permission etc.. Im sure most everyone would like you to share.
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 10:50 PM
I am sure DB would tell you guys that wanna see pictures to quit being lazy and use the search here on oldgas grin here is link to a old thread with DB's stuff. Oldgas has definitely not been the same since he left us.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=16040&Number=97895
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:25 PM
DB wouldn't have said it in exactly those kind words.. laugh
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
DB wouldn't have said it in exactly those kind words.. laugh

laugh laugh Ya I know, but I didn't wanna get Scolded like DB either!! Lol
Posted By: powerlube Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Tue Apr 14 2015 12:41 AM
Man the three doubles would have brought record prices! I would have paid extra to buy part of his collection;) he was a bit salty but was a great asset to the hobby.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Tue Apr 14 2015 12:51 AM
No doubt most of his items would have brought double or triple what they were worth just because of who he was. It would have been a frenzy to get a piece. In my opinion that is how he wanted it to go.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Tue Apr 14 2015 01:15 AM
Hopefully people will cherish his items for the meaning behind them than the actual value. That is truly what is important.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Wed Apr 15 2015 02:25 AM
Here's a picture of the Dick's bone yard.

Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Wed Apr 15 2015 02:33 AM
Who can forget Dick's visi tree ?

And the twin 36B top towers.

Posted By: Nicole Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Wed Apr 15 2015 08:18 AM
So his obsession with 36B tops was all about the ad glass? I had always wondered, and seeing the above picture seems to finally solve that mystery for me. Did he have them wired with light behind them?

I know if I had asked him direct, he would have told me some crazy story that I would have half-believed.

Will there still be a Bennett collection at the oil and gas museum for folks to visit? I see they still have the Bennett collection listed on their website: http://www.caoilmuseum.org/#!about1/c1f9q
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Wed Apr 15 2015 09:59 AM
Visi tree is awesome!!
Posted By: eshaver Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Wed Apr 15 2015 01:41 PM
Hey, Nicole , can you drop me a line to my office e-mail ?

artformsdesign@yahoo.com .....................
Posted By: keithia Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 12:05 AM
Great pictures of Dicks stuff! I bet many of us would have liked a chance to get a piece or two of his collection.
Posted By: Jamie Crosson Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 02:23 AM
They are amazing pictures of Dick's collection. I'm puzzled that his collection sold and no one on this forum knew about it. Was it sell to a single collector?
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 07:57 AM
I do not know about Dick's stuff, but it has been my experience over the past 30 years that when a collector passes the family usually uses a close friend or someone known to the family to dispose of the collection in mass. They can literally be overwhelmed with the quantity of items and just don't want to deal with the added stress of disposing of it. I have seen this in coin-op, advertising, antique auto parts, etc. Evey collector should have instructions for his/hers heirs included in their wills. You never know when something can and will happen. Dave
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 10:32 AM
I cant believe it sold? why would they sell it without letting anyone know especially his oldgas family?
I would have paid EXTRA to have 1 of his signs...
I hope someone didnt take advantage of the situation???
Dick will be rolling in his grave if someone he didnt like ended up with his collection...Just Sayin...
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 12:53 PM
There is a lot going on after a death. It took me a year to clean out my mother's stuff and problems still arose. Can you imagine the scene if it was announced that Oldgas members could come to the house and purchase stuff ? Perhaps an auction at a later date would have worked if the stuff was hauled to another site.You will probably find that someone close to the family got most of his stuff. I have seen this in the past. Dave
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Catauladave
Every collector should have instructions for his/hers heirs included in their wills. You never know when something can and will happen. Dave

I have already made arrangements with a few collector friends to dispose of my collection in the event of my demise. Three different individuals will be picking up three different sections of my collection and will dispose of it in a manner already discussed with them. My Warden will contact them when she is ready for disposal (probably a year) and they will be picking up the different sections of it.
This is sometimes a difficult thing to discuss within a family, but life goes on and your family should be prepared in case of an unforeseen turn of events. If you haven't made preparations, you owe it to your family to get it done!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 01:51 PM
In my opinion, having people show up at the house to buy stuff is not a good idea unless the widow is up on the prices and making deals. How much did he have, how many different people would be calling and knocking on the door to look and try to talk her down on stuff? Maybe they would buy two things and steal three. An auction would work, after the 10% sellers premium, or more? And how many people would want the widow to ship an item, after she got a shipping price to some zip code? I would assume a trusted family friend got the collection, or most of it? Maybe that person paid a fair price, maybe they ripped her off? Who knows? I would again assume, Dicks wife made a decision about what to do with it and that's that. I missed out on a lot of stuff, its part of the hobby. In the end, if she is happy, that's all that really matters?
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 03:10 PM
I can attest to the time and patience needed to sell a collection I have a friend who passed a year and a half ago the family asked me to help sell the collection and although much has been sold I still have a lot to sell for his family and his collection was nothing I'm sure compared to Mr. Bennett's but was very diverse such as a few pump's, sign's, Buddy L trucks, a bunch of pedal cars and a couple of cars he was having restored.
Now the family want's me to sell all of the household items it can be overwhelming as I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything and to clear out something of this magnitude you have to have help from those who do and that means a lot of calls, Emails and researching to get the fair price for things you don't know about and as has been said once someone passes and clear instructions are not left it's a guessing game as to who get's what and if it's to be sold what is the price he wanted to get?
It's a lot to handle and many times I have thought what would be a better way an auction, Estate sale or what? as it's very time consuming with research on items and reading everything you can get your hands on! not to mention reaching out to others to help.
All I can say about Mr. Bennett's collection is that it went to whom ever he trusted in life or whom ever his wife trusted after his passing and that is that, end of story....
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 07:14 PM
Yes, My wife says that she is going to call the scrap man. Its all taken care of she believes that way.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 09:54 PM
It's tough to beat an auction or auctions for disposing of quality items.

When I'm gone my wife will just have to make three phone calls.
One call to an auctioneer that specializes in the petroliana hobby to sell my globes and signs.
The second call will be to an auctioneer to sell my tools.
The third call will be to a local auctioneer to sell whatever else is left.
My wife knows what auctioneers to call.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 10:04 PM
I am with Bob, my wife also knows who to call.
Posted By: oslosteve Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Thu Apr 16 2015 11:16 PM
DBs collection was sold mostly to a few guys on the west coast. Sold by a couple of his buddies that know the market. The vultures circled but did not get in.
Posted By: Jamie Crosson Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Fri Apr 17 2015 12:52 AM
I think that's great news. Glad Mrs Bennett was taken care of.
Posted By: bppierce Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Fri Apr 17 2015 02:05 AM
Dick had a little numbered sticker on each item and a corresponding log for each. At least he did when he and I were good friends years ago. He was well prepared for the day.

Judy is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I'm positive that none of his friends would ever take advantage of her.
Posted By: azjockey Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Fri Apr 17 2015 03:48 AM
I know Judy Bennett personally and I still miss my freind Richard Bennett. As far as his collection, I do know the west coast collectors stepped up to the plate and paid well for what they bought. Judy trusted a few of dick's closest freinds to help sell some of the collection and she is overwhelmed with what she has received. Judy is one of the sweetest lady you would meet, and thanks Dick's freinds for what they have done . She did decide that there were a few items she would not let go , and they now are located in dicks newly remodeled bedroom . Judy even sent a few gifts to some the old gassers because she new that is what dick would want. Judy is very thoughtfull and because of dick she has been very well taken care of.

I still miss my friend .
Thank you for the knowledge.
Thank you for the laugh's

Gene
Posted By: oslosteve Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 20 2015 01:43 PM
You must not have known Dick very well, or you would know not to call him Richard!!! I called him by that name once and he chewed my *****. He said only one person could call him Richard, his Mother!!!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Dick Bennett's stuff - Mon Apr 20 2015 07:08 PM
Originally Posted By: oslosteve
I called him by that name once and he chewed my *****. He said only one person could call him Richard, his Mother!!!

LOL, isnt that the truth! I miss talking to that grumpy ol fart, LOL. I think about him all the time.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk