Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Thread Like Summary
Bass Master, buzzy56, It's for sale, Morgan, RandyM, SandPCollector
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#783615 11/14/2022 7:47 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
I was thinking about a truck I'm going to paint in the distant future, when I saw some threads about $50 Rust-Oleum paint jobs. I got to thinking about an old pump that was up in my attic. I was going to reassemble it and sell it as is, but then I thought why not try an economy restoration on it. Good or bad, we will have a result. You can follow along on this adventure.

Here's our test subject. It's an early 50s Wayne 505 that has been apart for years. It has been in pieces for close to if not over a decade. I bought it on Craigslist cheap because it was missing one upper door and a lower door. I found the replacements, took it apart and had it sandblasted. I remember trying a new sandblasting company and they charged me almost $300 to blast it. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say I'm in the hole on this one. I sprayed primer on it to keep it from rusting, then life got in the way. It ended up just kind of being around. I moved a few years ago, and just kind of piled up the parts here and there. That's where we come in now.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#787277 Feb 4th a 09:18 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Upper view
Attached Images
3 members like this
#785205 Dec 14th a 02:43 AM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Here's where i am at so far.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#785401 Dec 17th a 07:50 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Installed on the pump.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#786506 Jan 10th a 11:43 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
I cleaned up the VR and reinstalled it. Looks good, but a static display only.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#784232 Nov 25th a 03:11 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Thanks Randy, I pick up used ironing boards at the scrapyard for a buck each. I always get the ones with expanded metal tops as excess paint just falls right through. They are perfect for painting small lightweight parts. When they get too loaded up with over spray I just take them back to the scrapyard and get another.
1 member likes this
#784928 Dec 10th a 01:41 AM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
I sanded down the paint on the nozzle side. I had overworked it and burnt through in several places. I gave it two more coats, and then worked it more carefully with 1200 grit instead of 800. The bummer here is the time wasted on a screw-up. I have enough paint, so that's not a big deal. It's the 24 hour dry time that's the killer. Oh well, not the worst thing to happen. After a new polish job, it looks good.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#784987 Dec 10th a 08:53 PM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Originally Posted by Morgan
Why not drill the globe holder and leave pump original?
The screw holes for the original globe holder are too far out and wound interfere with where the globe sits in the holder. The new holes are inside the globe when the globe is attached.
1 member likes this
#784983 Dec 10th a 07:21 PM
by Morgan
Morgan
Why not drill the globe holder and leave pump original?
1 member likes this
#785204 Dec 14th a 02:42 AM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
If you ever need to cover a workbench, a cheap option is to go to a dollar store and get one of these party table clothes.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#786243 Jan 4th a 01:06 AM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
Originally Posted by RandyM
Looking really good. Thank very much you for taking the time effort to post all of your work. That in itself is an extra chore. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I like to share what I'm doing with family and friends. In the past I didn't take pictures of what I was doing. I always just took photos of the final product. I regret not doing a journal on my projects in the past. This is like a public journal. I hope others enjoy seeing the progress.
1 member likes this
#786648 Jan 18th a 01:00 AM
by Mike618b
Mike618b
A good thing about these is that the stainless steel is really hard and forms a strong metal memory, and will almost return itself back into shape. Little work with a hammer and you can watch these come back into shape right in your hands.
1 member likes this

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved