Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315045 Mon Mar 26 2012 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A while back, I posted a question on how to get the sight glasses from a Tokheim 36B apart! I was having some difficulty and didn't want to break the expensive amd original glass in the assembly!
Ryan posted that I should soak them in a half & half mixture of automatic transmission fluid and Coca Cola!
Now, at first I thought he was fooling around and wanted to see if I would actually do it or not?? I had to think about it for a couple of days and I finally decided there might be something to it and if it didn't work, I'd just keep my mouth shut and never tell anyone!! LOL
Well, I'm to the point that I need them to finish up part of the assembly and they had been soaking for 2 weeks, so I decided to pull them out and try it! I cleaned the oil off and clamped one in the vise and grabbed a small hammer and a good punch. I was very suprised when the locking ring started moving right away! It took a little careful tapping but it came right off! The next one was a little more stubborn and I had to get a bigger hammer, but a couple good taps and it was moving too!
I now have the entire assemblies apart and can clean them up for painting! My pump is really coming together and I hope to start posting pictures in about a week!
RYAN-- I owe you one! I thank you very much for the tip!

Tok 36B sight Glass-resized.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL, The NEW CHERRY COKE!
Now mixed the mixture w/ JB for a Totty!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have used dot 3 brake fluid and it does a fine job.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
L
L
It makes sense when you think about it. Phosphoric acid is what Rust Mort uses to neutralize rust. Coke has phosphoric acid (the stuff that eats your teeth and gives it the "bite" you taste.) Thus, soak in coke and it converts the rust. The ATF provides lubriation.
Great to read this for the 39 I have to revive when I get time!

Glad it worked Kevin!

A little story about this for those of you that have not heard it before.

For starters... My dad is kind of a "suit" If you know what I mean.

So.. He stopped by one day (sometimes a mistake). Hey dad! I need your help for a couple minutes. I put him on a John Deere model B tractor that was stuck. It had been sitting for about two days with the cylinders filled with Coke and ATF. We pulled it down the paved road with my loader/backhoe. I was having him pop the clutch and was hoping the engine would pop loose.

BOOM! She freed up covering my dad in flat Coke and ATF!! He was not amused. I wish I would have filmed it.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL Great story Ryan !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My sister's Belgium godmothers husband (whew) was a dentist, and he used to put human teeth in cola (usually coke) to show his young patients how quickly the teeth disolve... eek

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved