Page 1 of 2 1 2
#678426 Sat Feb 04 2017 07:15 AM
M
Morgan Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
What's going on with buyer saying "I'll take it" on a For Sale posting then they disappear. They don't answer PMs, don't follow through with paypal payments. It seems they just basically flake out. That's happened twice to me in the past couple of days on just one post.

I understand people can get busy or things come up but people can still have integrity and communicate with sellers.

I wish this forum had a buyer/seller rating system like the gun and motorcycle forums I visit. I think we'd see less of this *****.

Rant over. LOL

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Morgan Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
OMG, c r a p is a blocked word? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Morgan; Sat Feb 04 2017 07:16 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't know how many transactions I've done here, maybe a dozen. So far buyers and sellers have been top notch. I've always thought a rating system would be nice, but maybe extra work for the mods, some of who are probably volunteers..... I've learned a long time ago not to suggest something unless I'm ready to step up and help with the process..lol I have seen a lot of the younger crowd interested in this hobby, and I've noticed that in dealings (at this point not in this forum) they can be inconsiderate and thoughtless.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Rating system, what about buyer or seller who has a grudge for any other reason. It is open to many different things.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've had the same thing happen a few times but not epidemic really. But it sure is frustrating when they do it. Almost worse than never replying are the ones that wear you out wanting more pictures, freight estimates and after saying they think they want it, then they disappear. It's become the way of the world when it comes to Internet selling. I don't know that any system would help a whole lot, that's just the way a lot of people are nowadays. The older I get though, the lower my patience threshold gets......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been lucky buying and selling on here. There has been a few times I said "I will take it" then decided what am I doing but still followed through with the deal, because a deal is a deal.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Had it happen to me more on Facebook sites than ever before today.
People say they want it,and ask where to send payment or can we meet in person to seal the deal,then nothing..Never show up or send payment.
On facebook,you can see they read your PM,like on this site when you ask politely what gives?
I swear many still live in there Moms basement and sink back into a fetal position once they are called out.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are a couple of guys on here that are notorious for buying and then disappearing. I have kept a list and simply will not deal with them anymore. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Matt Alvarez that's a great point. There have been a lot of times I've said I'll take it in the heat of the moment and then thought "why did I just do that?" but I always follow through. My integrity is worth more than a few bucks to me also. People will easily forget 100 smooth transactions but we always remember the 1 bad one.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is one name here that has twice said "I'll take it and PM sent" to my ad only to never hear a thing from that person, I also see that same name constantly doing it on others for sale posts. I often wondered if he ever followed thru on any of those sales, It certainly kills the sale when others think that first person took it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By KZ1000
There is one name here that has twice said "I'll take it and PM sent" to my ad only to never hear a thing from that person, I also see that same name constantly doing it on others for sale posts. I often wondered if he ever followed thru on any of those sales, It certainly kills the sale when others think that first person took it.

That's the most frustrating part , other buyers move on to something else , your item goes unsold.
I find about 30% of the " I'll take it" sales go unsold

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ain't nothing new in this hobby. I got ripped by a "top collector" right after I got into the hobby about 35 yrs ago.These flakes are mostly flippers. Part of the hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunately it's becoming common for both buyers and sellers to flake out. I had two buyers not follow through with deals they had committed to last year. One had a decent reason, so I offered him more time to pay. When it was time to pay he wanted to renegotiate the price.
Now a seller has backed out of a deal we had made on 7 sets of lenses. It's amazing how little value some people place on their integrity.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This reminds me of my problems hiring someone. They say " I got to give my employer 2 weeks notice" I wait 2 weeks for a no show or near the end of the two weeks I get a call saying they offered me more to stay, sorry!!! I believe there is something in the water. Maybe it ran down from the dairy up the hill

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought an item from a regular seller on this site. Open it up and it's missing all the guts. Been waiting for a couple weeks for him to get back to me to make it right...nothing so far. Gonna wait till the end of this week and if I don't hear from him; then I'm going make a post so others can be aware of him.
Shouldn't be hard to buy or sell in a small group. To me, it's pretty simple; treat other's the way you would like to be treated.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved