Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315352 Wed Mar 28 2012 07:29 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
picked up a really nice tydol ethyl globe yesterday it has alot of dust, dirt on the inside lenses iam sure this has been discussed before what is the best way to clean. the paint is strong there is no flaking or peeling but i would like to keep it that way. i did a search for the topic but couldnt find a thread. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tjccafferty #315353 Wed Mar 28 2012 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If they're really dirty I use dishwashing soap. Otherwise I just use Windex on both sides.

Scott Baselt #315358 Wed Mar 28 2012 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wash the inside gently to remove dust and some grime...then use Mr.Cleans magic eraser.gently....great results

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
texaspelican #315423 Wed Mar 28 2012 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TJ:

If it's a 'fired' lens, you're really not gonna hurt it cleaning it any way you want to.

The interior coating is not paint - but fired-on frit. Once the lens is run trough the kiln, the frit is part of the glass and not just a coating.

I have successfully used 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper (wet, of course) to clean some really grungy lenses.

That being said, start off with a gentle cleaner and only move up to a stronger solution as required.

I find that good old regular Windex along with oooo steel wool works great in 90% of the cases of a discolored/dirty lens.

You can use a straight-edge razor blade to clean anything off the outside of the lens: dirt, grim, mouse poo, etc. LOL

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #315774 Fri Mar 30 2012 10:20 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks so much guys it is an early globe so it is fired and i just wasnt sure if ammonia in windex or any household cleaners would hurt it but i will start off slowly and gently, following all your recommendations. i should already probably know how to properly clean a globe but i always keep my items exactly as found but this globe is a beauty that i want to enjoy for a while. thanks greatly gents.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved